Sunday, January 14, 2007

Why Maine?

I had come to Maine many times as a child camping with our family. My brother went to college in Maine, worked here for a time after college, left for a while and came back. Maine folk are wonderfully good folk. I’m not saying they are better or worse than others. There is just something attractive about who they are and how they are. In many ways this is the final frontier of our country in the northeast. It’s still rural America. Maine is beautiful country with plenty to explore. It’s peaceful here. I won’t belabor the point further except to say that it feels right for us.

• I started with an AAA map, looked at metropolitan areas and drew mileage circles with a compass around each.

• I perched on the internet, mostly on www.realtor.com, and watched house and land prices for over two years.

• I flew out for a two and a half day power house hunting trip. I had a list of over 40 potential homes to look at in 10 different towns. We bought the first house I looked at.

• The house was still under construction. I walked in and met the builder and liked him immediately. He was building it himself.

• The area was beautiful. Rolling hills, small rivers, nice lakes… everywhere.

• The older I get, the more I trust my intuition. It works and so here we are.

1 comment:

Vicki Doudera said...

Jeff and his wife Cathy are great examples of the "new Mainers" coming to our state. Your blog is interesting and helpful, Jeff!

Vicki Doudera
www.vickidoudera.com