Saturday, April 7, 2012

Harvesting Fir

Without gainful employment at the moment, I have decided to harvest more of the large fir trees on our land. I personally hadn't thought about cutting myself until our neighbor, who logged for us two years ago, suggested it. Funny how that happens. It was one of those "oh yeah, I could do that" moments.

Fir trees grow bigger in our area of town. These start out as those $50 Christmas trees people pay a premium for during the Holidays. They grow naturally here to 60' tall; then they die (which all trees eventually do anyway) and fall over. So, instead of having an area littered with a bunch of dead fallen big trees; I've decided to selectively harvest the larger ones. This also allows me to manage an area of forest I haven't yet and get additional firewood for next season.

So, with a homemade skid plate attached to my tractor, I bundled up and ventured onto our acreage. I have a new respect for folks who cut trees for a living. It's definitely difficult work. The trees are not just large but there are many variables to consider. And, there are many things that work against you. The slightest breeze can push a tree in a different direction than you would like it to fall. Even the most perfect cut doesn't always work like it's supposed to. Other trees catch your tree as it falls. Obstacles, such as holes, rocks and old frozen stumps make it impossible to get close to the butt of the fallen tree you need to chain up to. You accidentally tag the ground with your freshly sharpened saw chain dulling it on one of your first cuts. Yes, the learning curve is steep. And, the work is dangerous.

So, I take my time, take care of my equipment and wear protection (like all good boys do!). Most folks that do this for a living have a winch. After using a skid plate, I can see the utility of a winch. Because I have to get right up to the butt of the tree I'm pulling out, my tractor has to be able to fit. This means having a tractor-wide swath cut right up to the tree at a convenient angle. Each tree creates a unique situation. Collectively harvesting many trees involves creating a strategy. It's a fun challenge that occupies both mind and body.

I know it takes me longer to get my wood. But then again, my goal is not just to harvest but to leave this portion of our property looking nice. I build brush piles for the critters. I cut up the trunks of old fallen dead trees and fill in the low spots. I spread out the branches from felled trees and run them over to crush them and turn them into mulch. I want this area to recover quickly and look nice for the future. I take pride in leaving a harvested area looking nicer than when I started.







No comments: