Friday, August 11, 2017

Argosy-Post 3 Removing the interior furnishings

The first thing I found was a breaker box hidden behind a night stand between the two rear bunks. The power cord is in the rear bumper and comes directly into this box.


















In tracing wiring, things quickly became scary. The circuit that feeds the power converter ran into this corroded box which arced at some point and fried the wires.


 The battery box (bottom left), converter (not shown), blackwater tank and heating duct were all packed into a compartment below the driver's side bunk.











This wooden platform supported the shower/shower seat. It sits over the wheel well on the driver's side. On the left of the shower wall was where the sink was located.

At this point, my workshop is full of Argosy parts. Panels that separated the back bedroom from a closet, the series of bathroom walls, the bathroom sink, overhead storage compartments and doors, kitchen cupboards, etc.


While I don't plan on reusing many of the removed partitions or cabinetry (due to water damage), I'm keeping things as templates for new construction. As this project will take me a few years and as my memory grays with time, having the pieces will help rebuilding immensely.




Finally, with the shower walls and supports removed, there are the plumbing runs.


I have begun to tinker with how to repair some of the removed plastic pieces. Some of the plastic was thin and cracked. Trailer movement, age and removal have also taken a toll. Years ago, I built two kayaks using mahogany plywood covered with fiberglass and epoxy. I know how strong this is and have begun using it to repair some of the interior cabinets. It seems to adhere well and the fiberglass lends support and shape to voids. I'm using System 3 Epoxy (ordered via Amazon) and fiberglass cloth which is available most anywhere they sell auto parts.

No comments: